Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Half Herbie

"HERBIE!! Red." I am entirely likely to shout the preceding phrase at anyone in my company (and sometimes on my own, though not usually shouted in such an instance :P) on sight of a red Volkswagen Beetle. A trait inherited from my dad, I am intensely competitive about the Herbie game--we don't punch or hit each other, nothing like that--but we count points, and I rarely lose.

Because the point is attached to the word "herbie," and not to the color, the old habit of calling the cars as "red Herbie" or "black Herbie" has mostly died out in favor of "Herbie red" or "Herbie black," except in a few cases, in which "blue Herbie," "yellow Herbie," and "silver Herbie" have become "Blurbie," "Yellerbie," and "Silverbie." Hey--you try pronouncing all of the syllables that quickly. :-)

So one day, when my dad and brother were visiting me in Waco, we went for a drive, and were, of course, calling Herbies. I was winning, by about three points as I recall. And then, to much disbelief, I shouted,
"HALF HERBIE!!"

Neither my father nor my brother believed me. Because in competition such as ours, points matter (even half points), my dad made a U-turn to go look at the half herbie that they two did not believe existed. Sure enough, they were wrong, amazed, and behind by three-and-a-half points.

To celebrate (and also to eat dinner), we ate pizza at Poppa Rollo's, home of the half-herbie, that night. Smothered in olives, jalapenos, sausage, artichoke, and many other delicious things, it was fabulous. So were the two pitchers of root beer that we got rid of without much ado. :-)

Fast-forward in time I-don't-remember-how-much:

The first time I shot with Tom Rinard, we talked about plans for more shoots afterward (of course), and the one thing that jumped out of my mouth that I REALLY wanted to do was shoot with the half-herbie outside of Poppa Rollo's pizza place... (fast-forward even more) ...and now we've finally buckled down and done it! The back half of Herbie is in front of Poppa Rollo's, and the front half is in back. Say that five times fast.

The 20 photos below (sorry about the photo overload--just imagine what I've gone through, we took 283!) were taken by Tom Rinard. I am the model, the stylist, the makeup artist. If there is any editing on the versions of the photos shown below, I did it, but most of them are unedited because his photos really are that good.
Anyway,
without further ado, here are the
photos from last weekend:











This one reminds me of the character Rizzo, from Grease. :-)







If there's one thing I learned from modeling since I started, it's that it's harder than it looks. Photographs in which I look natural and perhaps even graceful were a workout to pose for. The wind kept literally bucking me off the back of the Herbie, and more than once I was afraid the roof of the Herbie was going to cave in under my feet. However, it's a lot of fun looking back at pictures like the second one in this post and being proud not only of how it turned out but also of keeping my balance in heels on top of a thin piece of metal in 25mph wind with the sun in my eyes, my hair going crazy, and every second my knickers threatening to show their face under a petticoat that would rather be soaring through the blustery air. No, really--it's a lot of fun. :)

Anyway, everything I'm wearing was either gifted or thrifted, but nothing ever shoplifted. Yay for rhyming. :-)
For the makeup, I used a lot of different things--
  • I used three pressed shadows from a clinique eye quad that was a free sample in one of the specials they do periodically--the one I didn't use this time is called Frosted Blossom (Soft Shimmer), and the three I used are
    • Buttermilk (Velvet),
    • Beige Shimmer (Soft Shimmer), and
    • Bewitched (Velvet)
  • I also used Barry M.'s Yellow Dazzledust on the inner corners of my eyes, and
  • I think I used Mac's Copperized pigment, as well as
  • Out Back, a shadow I got in a free sample with my order from Coastal Scents. In any case, what's on my eyes is some combination of the above (I really should have written this sooner).
  • My red lips are Besame Red over a drugstore liner that I can't read the name on anymore.
  • I'm also wearing MUFE black gel liner,
  • and I lined the bottom of the wing with a very thin line of Barry M. electric blue liquid liner, but you can't really see it, so who cares?
  • My eyebrows are darkened with Bewitched (Velvet) from that Clinique eye quad I was talking about earlier.
  • The blush I used was another free sample from Clinique, their Shimmering Stripes Powder Blusher in 01 Peony.
  • Obviously I'm wearing mascara, and it's the one that was at the top of my bag. I don't remember what brand it was.

Are you as done with this post as I am? I thoroughly understand.
'Bye, now!
<3 Lovely Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. Lovely is definitely one of the most incredible and most fun people that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. She essentially does everything on her own and so I am there to simply push the button in an attempt to capture all of her hard work so that we can share it with everyone. She never ceases to amaze me with her talent and creativity and I am so very impressed with her and the work that she does. I have no doubt that all of her talents will make her very famous one day. I know that I am elated to have the opportunity to work with her and I look forward to seeing her blossom with all of her talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your style, the extreme makeup, the wonderful clothes, the gorgeous photography and the fun settings. The whole thing is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete