Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Minimalist Game, Part 8

We cleaned last night and this morning. Our dining room table looks like a table instead of an obstacle course, and our big cozy armchair is a chair now instead of a coat rack. I'm so proud.

We forgot to drop off some of the things that were on the list last night, but Boyfriend wanted to run to the music store, so he's taking the things right now.

December 13th
  1. I'm finally saying good-bye to two pieces of art I like very much, but which cannot have a place in our home currently. The first one is a very beautiful framed print of a photograph of a gorgeous dress by Jean Paul Gaultier. I think I paid $20 for the print, plus probably another $20 for the frame. This is the photo in the print:

    It's quite large, which is one of the reasons we don't have a place for it. The other reason is it just doesn't feel right in this home--boyfriend likes it as a photograph and as a dress, but doesn't want it on the walls, and I would only want it on the walls in the bedroom (which is really his territory, as it's also the music room & recording studio) or the closet (which is not a luxurious powder room and therefore all the wallspace is clothes. So, it's just been taking up space on a table in my room. You might be wondering why I didn't put it up in my room--well, my room is the study in our one-bedroom-one-study apartment, and it's supposed to be for my altar and my crafting. Right now it's a storage room. This is one of my main motivations for this Minimalist Game. We're paying rent on a craft room, so I want to be able to use it. We've got a more public and less personal altar in the living room on top of one of the short bookcases. It's mostly just a bunch of candles, some seasonal items from nature, some stones, my wand and my kitchen witch spoon, and an incense burner under our big sun clock. It's really beautiful and I love it, but I want a more personal and magical altar in my room, too. I want a space where I can just meditate, or craft, or write, or just be, and there are some old things getting in the way of that. One of the things that's keeping that from happening is a lack of furniture--everything is on the floor instead of in drawers or on shelves, because I don't have enough drawers or shelves. The other thing that's keeping that from happening is too much junk in the way.
  2. The second piece of art is something my good sense tells me I should never have spent $30 on in the first place, but I love it so much anyway. It's a carpet art version of The Last Supper, in a wooden frame that is positively falling apart. In fact, when I had it on the wall in my last apartment, I just nailed it straight into the wall through the carpet (I may or may not have hammered nails through Jesus' wrists for the hell of it--hell being a very appropriate word here). It hung over our dining room table and it was beautiful. If I were sole ruler of this household, it would still be hanging over our dining room table, but Boyfriend (who is usually pretty good about liking things ironically) says I can hang it in my room or not at all, and since I don't really want a carpet-art-Jesus-and-Friends hanging on the wall of my Pagan-altar-and-craft-room, The Last Supper is over and it's time for dessert.
  3. Those were the things we had already decided to get rid of, but forgot to drop off last night because they were way in the back of my room. Some new things we found today include a pair of orange plastic Caltech sunglasses that really do display my Caltech pride but which I just can't wear because they don't fit over the glasses I use to see;
  4. and a Barbie fashion illustration wall calendar from a couple years ago. I only ever buy wall calendars because I like the art--I hardly ever write on them, and I certainly never check them for appointments--that's what Google Calendar is for, Silly. Anyhow, I still like the art, but if I haven't come up with anything to do with it yet, I'm not ever going to. Also, I'm trying to get rid of those things that I'm nostalgically attached to but don't want my children to be nostalgically attached to. Like, you know, Barbies. I probably won't ever be able to say goodbye to my collectible Barbies... the Bob Mackies, Scarlett O'Hara, Scheherezade, Dolls of the World... but any progress is progress, right?
    This reminds me! Yesterday, my Lammily Doll came in the mail! I backed Lammily on Kickstarter almost a year ago when that was something I could afford to do, because it was a really awesome project. At that point, I didn't know if my $25 would ever materialize into a real thing, but it did! If you don't know, Lammily is a teen fashion doll in the general vein of Barbie, except that she has the proportions of an average 19-year-old girl. In other words, if Lammily were life-size, she would actually be able to support herself on her posable feet, and her average waist and spine would have no trouble supporting her average chest. In fact, her body looks a lot like mine (except healthier), and I think she's beautiful.


    Plus, she comes in this gorgeous watercolor box with a pamphlet about her world travels. I seriously don't even want to take her out of the box because I'm afraid I'll hurt the box. I feel a little silly, but I'm probably going to keep her collectible and new-in-box. The exclusive first edition is still available for the same $25 I paid months ago (except you probably have to pay shipping now), AND you can get additional non-scanty outfits inspired by cities around the world, and this really cool thing called Lammily marks, which are these vinyl stickers you can put on her that look like freckles or grass stains or acne or stretch marks or blush. She's super cute and I love her so much and if you like dolls that look like real people, or you have children who like dolls and you would like them to grow up with a less deranged body image than most people my age did, you should buy them a Lammily. I am not being paid or compensated in any way to say these things about Lammily, I just legitimately think that the idea and the product are THAT AWESOME. Here is the website: https://lammily.com/
  5. Boyfriend threw out a strange piece of packing foam, probably for sound equipment,
  6. an old, bad microphone,
  7. some old, bad headphones,
  8. a broken flashlight that was very good before it was broken,
  9. a clear acrylic box that I would have kept if it had a latch or closure of any kind to keep it from opening,
  10. a pocket-size flathead screwdriver,
  11. a handy tool kit case with no tools in it,
  12. and an empty hearos box.
  13. He also went and donated an old (but working) digital watch along with my art pieces, calendar, and sunglasses.
TO BE CONTINUED...

0 comments:

Post a Comment